Life, The Universe and Pune

Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Pictures anyone???

The F1 hangover just wont go…..got the pictures developed and I must say I have some sweet pictures of Michael on the podium celebrating his 60th win for Ferrari….I think I need to scan them for the benefit of some public who mite want to see the pictures. This might come across as boasting …but I think I am improving as a photographer……some other pictures I took have also come out well…….and I am quite excited about how the black and white pictures I took at Indy are going to come out…….and I am absolutely in love with the zoom lens I bought (Quantaray 100-300, F 4.5-6.7)……that baby has some zoom on it……the pictures speak for themselves…….

I remember when I was quite a kid ….I was quite the fascinated kind watching what Dad did with this black box (his SLR camera…) in his hands and asking people to smile….and then the flash went off too (I did not know it was called a flash then)…..I was told it is a aaankh band hone vali light……..once I figured out what the camera did I too wanted one of my own….not the ones you get outside the parks but a proper one like Dad……but then I settled for the cover of the SLR camera instead and would hold that in my hand…close one eye and peep through it from some angle and shout “smile” along with Dad……that was my initiation into photography….as time went by I was allowed to take a couple of pictures along with dad after he had set the zoom and the aperture and focused on his subject……and from then on there was no looking back…..soon I figured out for myself what aperture and zoom and film speeds meant…..and I knew then and there that I was hooked….once I came to here to Amrika I knew I had to get my own camera…..and it would be non other than a nice SLR…well I got that (Canon EOS Rebel G) and when I visited India last year I gifted that to Dad….my Photography ‘guru’…and in less than a month after my return I had bought myself another SLR (Canon EOS Rebel 2000) to replace the one I gave dad……..

Though Dad still thinks that most pictures I take are not good….he is interested in portraits and people’ pictures in general…to play with the light and mood and scenery and get that perfect shot….whereas I am more of a landscape fan…...love taking pictures at events…..of nature….night time photography…the only time I like taking pictures of people is when they are not paying attention….those pictures are the best……absolutely natural….…...I have never been fascinated by box cameras…..and the digital ones..….well there are ok… but I think I cannot have the functionality I need within my budget ….to get that i.e. a digital SLR would be way too expensive…maybe in the near future ……..eventually when I am back in India….I just feel happy at the sheer thought of knowing that I will have the zoom lens on the Rebel 2000 and the regular lens on the Rebel G ( ohh…did I mention that I plan to own an array of lenses)….and moving around with both cameras and go on trips…….…..but till then I think I am more than happy with what I have going here …..