Life, The Universe and Pune

Friday, September 19, 2003

Some random conversation (about marriage) with mom and dad last night….

Mom: Beta…..if the girl is elder than you ….to chalega???
Me: Maa ….sab chalega lekin I don’t want to get married abhi!!!
Mom: There is a right time for everything….and I think its high time you started thinking about it
Me: I think the right time has not yet come….

Dad: Beta…I’m on your side…..I promise that I wont talk to you about marriage till Dec. 31st (that’s because I said I don’t want to think about marriage for some more time). But if your mom starts pestering you then I am not responsible…That’s your problem….I wont be able to manage it…
Me: Arre Dad……you have been handling it well for 28 years now (Mom and Dad have been married for 28 years)…….another 4 months should not be a problem…you take care of Maa if she gets hyper….

Mom: I think you are just too tired (was midnight)…we should talk sometime during the day
Me: You can ask me about marriage at 12.00 in the night, or 2.00 in the afternoon or at 6.30 in the morning…..and my answer is going to be the same….I don’t want to get married
Mom: I have my doubts beta…I still don’t know what kind of girl you want…….
Me: Maa …..even I don’t know what kind of girl I want…welcome to my world…...we are sailing in the same boat……good night now…its past midnight and I need to be up by 6.30 ….have to get to work by 8.00
Mom: Ok Beta….good night…sleep well….( I can imagine the look of frustration on her face..)