Life, The Universe and Pune

Friday, November 21, 2003

Mere Bachpan Ka Dost

As a child did you have an imaginary friend????……someone who you played with and spoke to about the silliest of things……..I think I had one…though I don’t remember most of my conversations with this friend…by the way he had no name……being the leo that I am sure I imagined him to be fitting replica of me…...though with me being the dominant one.......funny how my friend is referred to as ‘he’…..I think at that age the last thing boys want to do is associate themselves with girls (just like Calvin from C&H)……how things change…..

ya so this one incident I remember clearly about me having a conversation with my friend....one evening......after my daily khelene ka sessions with my true friends I was sitting on the floor in my bua’s room …mast freshafter a shower and all......and she got me dal and chawal and kept it in front of me…..I don’t remember what it was but she went back into the kitchen to get me something…and in the meantime I poured the dal onto the chawal and suddenly started speaking to my imaginary friend and was explaining to him the beautiful phenomenon of chawal absorbing the dal…..and my bua walked in and suddenly finds me talking to someone when there is actually no one….that look on her face when she asked me who was I talking to and followed by my reply that its no one…..well that look of amazement is something I will never forget…I am sure she figured out that ek ya shayed ek se jyada screw dhilla hoga…..

I learnt that day that I should keep my conversations with my friend a secret and from then on nobody in the house knew of my escapades and adventures when I went with him to save the princess’ (funny how I am willing to save girls but will not have one to be my imaginary friend…….sometimes I think life as a kid was never simple…I find it hard to understand some of this things I did)……or fight dragons…….or how we both wanted to rule the world……we nearly achieved that and just a few days before I was all set to take over and become CEO of the world…tragedy struck….

I GREW UP