Life, The Universe and Pune

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

While growing up I would often hear friends of the family ..or then relatives remark on the similarity in terms of actions, style of talking etc....between my Dad and me or my Chacha and me....or then at times between my Grandfather and me......it always felt good to know that someone actually thought that I looked or behaved like my Grandad or Dad or Chacha.......got this feeling that I belonged to a family.....I was one of them.......when it was time to go to college I decided not to continue in Loyola Junior College....instead I opted to enroll at Fergusson College....which has kind of been a family tradition.....right from Dad to my three Atya's and my Chacha too.....

Nowadays when I speak to folks at home they tell me that Saul (my cousin) has started reading Orson's Farm ...just like I would...he is fascinated by Orson and the Junta....soon,Chacha said " He is gonna start reading Calvin and Hobbes...just like u did"........Last week, Saul gave his entrance interview at Loyola High School...apna alma mater...It would be awesome to have him attend the same school.....have another Loyolite in the family......I have already visualized visiting him there the next time I am in India...and kinda relive those memories....that canteen, the ground, the hill........ Chacha says thats nothing has changed in Loyola....I keep hearing these stories about how Saul throws tantrums like I did......

Though with time the men in the family do think differently and do things in different ways....our experiences make us what we are....my grandfather completed his matriculation.... but was a very well read man......started a businnes from scratch........Dad and Chacha completed their bachelor's degree in India and have made the factory what it is today......I am here in Akron...working .....after having finished my masters.....time will tell what I do.......and Saul....well....godspeed to him and may the force be with him.....every male in the family has been compared to the other and similarities have been pointed out....though a distinct identity always remains....

On evenings like these when I think about Saul being compared to me....... I just smile to myself.....It now feels good to experience all this from the other side.......I guess even with generations.... somethings just don't change......at some level we are all gonna be different....or the same........two sides of a coin....:)