Life, The Universe and Pune

Monday, March 08, 2004

Long one ...this

Got the long due haircut on Friday…not that there is much in the upar ka kheti…but once in a while (read every 3 months) it feels good to get that remaining hair cropped really short…someone at work remarked that I had gotten myself a haircut…..and went on to thank the almighty ‘cos I was starting to look like a hippie….post haircut I found myself at BestBuy……walked around a bit feigning interest in all sorts of things from CD’s and DVD’s to MP3 players….when the photographer inside me knew why exactly I was there….a while later I casually walked to the photography section and without much deliberation I got myself …yeah u guessed right….the Canon Rebel 6.3 megapixel Digital SLR…….

I would rank that as my second love in life at the moment.……whether I have a first love and if I do then what is it…that’s for you to guess and me to decide….:)……spent the evening lying on the couch waiting patiently for that qualifying to start…….due to my healthy lifestyle (in terms of sleeping)……I found myself falling asleep a little past midnight…..considering the fact that I am usually in bed by 11.00 p.m……..those were the days when the night actually started at 11.00 and bedtime was close to 4 or 5 a.m……..grad school…I miss you…….after watching Ferrari display what the do best….(leaving the best of the rest behind) I hit the sack a little past 2.00 am……

Saturday and Sunday basically consisted of

- Innumerable phone calls to junta….
- Beer and Beer and a little more Beer…
- A visit to this tiny town east of Cleveland to visit my Mama and his family….
- Realization that I have grown up a bit…..cause it’s the very recently in twenty something years that I have kids calling me Mama…..feels kinda nice….
- Lots of experimentation with the new camera…resulting in some very nice pictures….along with nature…I have some self portraits of this specimen that likes to call himself the Thakkarmeister…
- Watching Ferrari do…what they do best……game set match to the team from Maranello


Two things my dad mentioned over the weekend………firstly he said that I am similar to my grandfather in a few ways…..that being a liking for good cars (Volkswagen) and good cameras……my grandfather or Daji as I would like to call him used to be the proud owner of Volkswagen Beetle in the 1970’s……so no surprise there when I got myself a Volkswagen (Jetta)……feels nice being compared to the grand old man…the old man being my dad of course…….later during a conversation Saturday night dad called me a rascal …something he likes to call me quite often..followed by which he called me a rebel….was a play with words (since I got the Canon rebel)...yeah but I am quite the rebel of the Thakkar khandaan...…anyways...yeah....that’s my third rebel in as many years……to which I replied while quoting G. B. Shaw….. 'All reasonable men try and adapt themselves to the world. Only a few unreasonable ones persist in trying to adapt the world to themselves. All progress in the world depends on these unreasonable men and their innovative and often non-conformist actions' ….to which he says I should have taken up a career in literature or something to that effect….I said I could have done a lot more than being a Polymer Engineer….he then asked me “Like what???”….to which I replied…. “ Well the digital SLR is my first step towards becoming a professional photographer”…..I would have liked to see his expression after that……I quite seem to enjoy these father-son conversations that border on becoming duels……what say Pa?

Bas jhala attttaa……nantar bhetu ok!!!!