Life, The Universe and Pune

Sunday, February 01, 2004

Bike Crazy...

Living in Pune for 23 years , riding a two wheeler came very naturally to me....and since its something most people cannot avoid using apna family took a special interest in this....I think during his college days,Dad had a Rajdoot (ekdam status symbol).......Chacha had an Ind-Suzuki....which in the eighties launched the 100CC bike revolution in India....towards the end of my enginnering days we used to have a Kawasaki Eliminator 175 CC that's now called the Bajaj Eliminator......we had been waiting for that bike to be launched and thats one of the reasons I used a 1983 Bajaj Super scooter for 3 1/2 years of enginnering.......it was like bike hoga to Kawasaki Eliminator......Chacha, R and me have been quite crazy about bikes.......the first trip Chacha made to Europe he rented a motrocycle and wanted to go around Switzerland.....but it rained and temperatures went really low that weekend and he called me up and there was soo much disappointment in his voice ' cause he could not make the road trip....but he wanted it real bad and he was back in Europe in 6 months time and this time the weather did not let him down....and he had the time of his life spending four days biking in Switzerland on a Honda CBR 600.....

Then he made a trip here to the US in 2002...and the thing that was foremost on his mind was that he wanted to rent a Harley and experience the cruising.....luckily for me when he was in Clemson, South Carolina he did not find a dealer who would rent it to him....so 3 days later when he was in Akron we went down to this place about 80 miles west of Akron and rented a Harley Davidson Springer Softail....1600 cc ....sala its more powerful than any of the cars we had in India.....one helluva experience.....

Then last summer R and Chacha spent 4 days biking in Europe...and this time they had two bikes...the latest Honda 599/Hornet and the latest Honda CBR 600 F series with the central exhaust..though the one in the picture has the rear exhaust.....just looking at their pictures from that trip makes me green with envy......

Then two weeks back R got himself a motorcycle.......a Honda 599.....its called the Hornet in Europe...here in US they call it the 599......the day he called Chacha to tell him the news....all Chacha could say was.." Mujhe baithne de do minute...news digest karne"...he then called R an hour later and said " Aaj main kaam pe se chutti lera and Eliminator leke Sinhagad jara"......he could not get any friends to go so he went alone.....So finally I too have decided to take the plunge this summer and get myself a bike....though the Ohio weather will permit me to ride for 4-6 month...I dont think i can let this oppurtunity pass by....though unlike my partners in crime...I prefer the cruiser class of bikes....so come summer 2004 I think I might just have this or then this parked outside my house....can't wait......