Life, The Universe and Pune

Saturday, May 10, 2003

my room mates.....

Its been nearly two years that I have been living here in Akron....and I have to admit that i have got the nicest room mates ever........I see people left right and center changing houses....looking for new people to live with because they have problems with each other.......touch wood we never had any such problem.......a little background about my roomies.......like me they are Polymer Engineers too.....we all completed our under grad at Maharashtra Institute of Technology ( M.I.T)........N was my classmate at M.I.T......and Adi and Nish are classmates too and they were senior to us by a year......so anwyays I think I need to write a bit about them .....so here goes

N: I remember the first time I met N.....he had recently completed his diploma in Plastics Technology from Bombay and hence had direct admission into the second year of Engineering....and since he was a late admit he was a part of the last batch of students for the practical classes.....so even though his surname starts with B and he should have been in the batch comprising of the first 15 students, luckily for me he ended up in my batch....so thats how we first met....and I also remember ...instead of calling him N I had called him M and he seemed quite irritated about that.........a bit more about him....he is most sincere about his work........if only I could work half as sincerely as him....shame on me!!!:)...he loves to party too...just like me...and I love it when he gets tipsy(which is not very often).....he is very much like the big brother in the house....he is one half of the legendary Ram-Laxman ( N-Nish Jodi)...affectionately called N Bhai or N Seth and during our undergrad years he was called Dhirubhai (like the founder of Reliance) ...well we both applied to University of Akron and when we got our respective admit letters we decided that it would be a good idea to be room mates.....something I don't regret at all.......

Nish: he is the other half of the Legendary Ram-Laxman jodi........he and N are from the same college in Bombay...though he was senior to me and N in Pune, he was junior to N in the college in Bombay......he directly joined M.I.T after his diploma whereas nihir decided to get some work experience after his diploma and that hows Nish ended up being our senior......in Pune he and N were room mates....confusing na.....i still get confused...took me a while to write all this.....usually he lives in his own world where he decides what is good and what is bad.....a man of very strong ideas and he will not deviate even a bit from them....he is someone who can say the funniest of things with a straight face ...thats because the statement was not intended to be funny in the first place.........Nish is affectionately called Pheku, Popat or Ghati...actually the list is longer but these are the ones that are often used......once N and me had decided to be room mates...we got the news the Nishtoo had got an admit from Akron....so since N knew him very well .......Nishant was a natural choice......all in all a very good choice......

Adi: Julia Roberts was the wild card in Ocean' s Eleven......in my case Adi was the wild card in the quartet...someone I'd never met before ......I usually never interacted much with my seniors during my undergrad days and though he was only a year senior to me...... I never ended up knowing who Adi was........the first time I met him was here in Akron...he was the last to arrive among the four of us.....our first meeting was actually something something like this

Me: Hi Sunil.....I'm Puneri...
Adi: Hi Puneri ....Adi....
Me: So we are gonna be roomies huh!!!!
Adi: Yeah......( and we both kinda smiled)..........

I have rarely seen him in a serious mood....the math wiz in the house he makes the best "chai" I have ever had.........thanks to him chai is usually made a minimum of four times in our house.......my partner when it comes to watching sports on TV.......all that I learnt about tennis I learnt from him......ask him where he kept your pen that he borrowed yesterday ...chances are he won't know....ask him what was the score in the 30th minute of the the 2nd set in any final Pete Sampras played.....and you will be surprised.....affectionately called Adi, Addu or Sindhi.....I think this is one wild card I wont regret ..........

So anways to sum it up all....Ek rahan Adi...... ek rahan N....ek rahan Nish .......aur ek rahan Hum..........like Nish says ....four of us make the best home in Akron...I doubt anyone can challenge that.....:)