Life, The Universe and Pune

Saturday, June 07, 2003

Was reading a post online somewhere.........this blogger writes about about how she enjoyed reading 'The Bridges of Madison County'. I read this book sometime when I was in junior college......recommended by all the girls in our group....they would not stop raving about how well written this book is....and how wonderfully the author describes the romance between Francesca Johnson and Robert Kincaid......at the same time these are women who will threaten to walk out if they find out that their guy strayed........but what Francesca does is fine.......please explain!!!!!!!!!!!

We see this happening all the time....men stray in relationships and women stray.......supposedly men stray to satisfy their physical needs....and women stray because they are not emotionally satisfied in relationships......so how does that make it any different..... a friend and I were discussing this and he told me that when women stray its considered 'mature'...does straying for emotional rather than physical desires make cheating any less wrong??.. ..In my opinion it’s the same thing...or is it like when men stray its murder and when women stray its killing in self defense.....

I agree that 'The Bridges of Madison County'. is very well written but in my opinion it's nothing but a love story that could be classified as one of the very well written Mills and Boons type romantic stories ......somewhere in the book Robert Kincaid says " Analysis destroys wholes"....I had to analyze this and I am sorry if I destroyed things for anyone out there but this concept on which the book is based just does not appeal to me........