Life, The Universe and Pune

Thursday, June 05, 2003

Come exam time and I know so many people including myself who get all superstitious.....I mean if you study well then exams should not be a problem right....but then who wants to take chances.....if a combination of appearance, food or whatever works.....you stick to it....soon will be living my last month as a student....and over the years some things I have experienced come to my mind

- When I was doing my engineering in India I always wore the same set of clothes for every exam.....though it had to prove luck for the exam I gave....in my final year I remember I used to wear these faded blue jeans and a black t-shirt.......

- once I was given the freedom to drive around in the old car that we had I once drove down to my college in the car and on the way picked up a few friends in a certain order and the exam went well......from that day every exam I would wear the same jeans and t-shirt and drive down in the same old car and pick up my friends in the same order......well they agreed cause they too were believers....

-this friend of mine.... he would not shave once our preparatory leave started......sometime halfway through the preparatory leave we would have our our practical exams and viva's.....he would shave then....after that grow that beard again and finally the day the last exam got over.....the first thing he did was go to the barber shop and get a shave and a haircut...he also wore these jeans that were ridiculously tight...thanks to all the weight he had gained over the years...but he insisted on wearing them for every exam he gave.....and the meal he had before every exam was the same.....'dal chawal '

-after every exam, my brother R and me would go down to this park near our house...there used to be this 'dosawala;...it was a ritual of sorts of gulp down a 'masala dosa' after every exam......once home he would immediately go off to sleep while I watched TV endlessly for 3-4 hours to help purge all the material our from my system that I had studied.....though I don’t think I was superstitious about watching TV

-R wore this sweater for every exam...it had these three or four very noticeable holes on the front side....but he insisted on wearing it for every exam.....

-once I got to Akron I though this would be the end of it......cause I wore my lucky t-shirt and jeans for my first exam here and it was miserable....I did real bad....so gave up on the whole superstition thing......just when I thought I was heading towards some sanity in my life I found other people here who did the same.....I remember once I walked to school with these two friends for an exam and we all did rally badly....since then one of them who happens to work with me in my lab refuses to walk with me to school on the day of the exam...his explanation being its not lucky......


So did anyone of you guys have or still do have such superstitious beliefs