Life, The Universe and Pune

Monday, June 16, 2003

techie stuff coming up so read at your own risk.......

was supposed to be posted yesterday...but then i forgot
My research involves studying the material I make under a microscope...and mind you not the ordinary one...its what they call an Atomic Force Microscope.....point is I can reach very high magnifications........for this I need to prepare my samples and its not really easy getting that done.....I use a special kind of knife mounted on a mahine called a microtome that precision cuts the surface and gives me a really flat surface to study......and this needs to be done at really low temperatures of -80 C.......and to prepare one sample I need anything between half and hour to an hour and a half

OK so getting to the point....I had prepared about 10 such samples to study in the course of my research...and when the time came to study the samples I just could not find them.....so finally I decided that today would be the last day that I look for them and if I dont find them then I would go through the painful process of preparing them all over again...normally I would have been okay with something like this but then I have to get all my work done as soon as possible becuase I am defending my thesis next month and am graduating at the end of august...so basically have to get all my work done at super fast speeed.....well I could ramble on and on about how much i looked for the samples and did not find them....and just when I had resigned to the fact that I wont find them ,....(correction) or then maybe I chose not to look for them anymore....(I have to say this else some of my readers will start having arguments with me again about whther everything is an act of destiny or its all upto the choces we make)...... was all ready to go and prepare them again.....and thats when I though of looking in the microscopy lab where I work....and there neatly tucked under a table lay 10 flat plastic boxes each containing a sample all ready to be observed under the microscope...I guess I must have forgotten them there the last time I was up there in the lab trying my hand at using the microscope....all in all I think I saved myself about 3 days of work...and hopefull I can utilize it elsewhere....