Life, The Universe and Pune

Friday, July 04, 2003

This one's for you Ma

I did my engineering in Pune...and home was just 10 minutes away..sometimes lesser depending on the traffic......Every morning befroe I left I had three options that Ma gave me......have an early lunch at 10.30 a.m., or come back home at 1.00 p.m. for a quick lunch in the break or then carry a dabba to school with 'roti' and 'sabzi'......back then all three were unacceptable to me......10.30 a.m. was too early for lunch.....and carrying a dabba to school was so not cool....and I did not wanna make the trip home during the break because of whatever reasons..........what I really wanted to do was go to this place called 'Durga' near my college and have a nice anda bhurji and a glass of cold coffee.......... I can write another post about 'Durga' but G has already written about this place in some of his previous posts......so anways coming back to my aversion to lunch at home.........

Back then I never realized the advantage of staying so close to college save for the times when I got real sleepy or then there was this really boring lecture I did not wanna attend.........thats when I would rush home......and watch TV endlessly or then sleep or spend the afternoon trying to convince Ma why I was not hungry and why I ate out when she has made good food for me......I never thought much about those arguments.......I knew that history would repeat itself and I would be spending many afternoons during my four years of Enginnering giving her the same bull ........


Present Scenario........Thousands of miles away in Akron,Ohio I'm nearing the completion of my Master's program..........its been more than a year since I went home..........I am tired of eating the food we guys make at home........tired of eating Subs, Veggie Pita's, double bacon Whoppers or Pizza......I just want one home cooked meal.........dal...... chawal...ghee and nimbu......bas....

Ma, I admit for once in my life,......all three options are acceptable to me........